Jello - It’s one of those things, like peanut butter, that’s once you make it and discover how easy it is you wonder why in the world you ever bought it off the shelf! Use agar agar for a vegan version, or gelatin for regular.
Jello Recipe - No Sugar Added
- 2 cups fruit juice (note: pineapple does not work well, try a mixed juice or apple juice. Use all natural variety or juice your own)
- 2 tsp agar-agar or gelatin powder
- Heat the juice in a saucepan.
- Dissolve your agar in a teaspoon or two of water, while juice is heating.
- Once the juice is well heated add in the agar or gelatin and stir well.
- Now bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer well for five minutes while stirring.
- Pour into molds or dish. (I chilled pan in a large pan then used small cookie cutters to make the shapes).
- Let it cool down and refrigerate until set.
- Try adding cut-up fruit.
- Make the dessert a bit more “adult” by using tea or champagne. For tea simply brew up the tea to extra strength. Add sweetener if you wish, and carry on as above.
- Champagne jello would be lovely topped with fruit puree and whipped cream!