An Easy Lentil Soup Recipe (Red and Green Lentils) that is a nutritional powerhouse. Lentils have high amounts of vitamin B, iron, phosphorus, potassium and zinc.
Lentil Soup can be served as an appetizer or a quick meal for the family.
Easy Lentil Soup Recipe
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 vegetable bouillon, or 5 cups stock
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 cup dried green lentils
- ½ cup dried red lentils
- Freshly chopped mint
- Plain yogurt
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large soup pot, add a splash of olive oil, the onion, carrots, salt and pepper, and turn on to medium heat.
- Allow them to cook until most of the onion is translucent.
- Add the minced garlic and cook another 30-60 seconds.
- Next pour in your 4 cups stock (or 1 bouillon cube + 5 cups water), along with both the green and red lentils.
- Turn your heat up to high and boil until the lentil are tender (20-25 minutes: the red lentils will cook before the green will).
- Turn off your heat for a few minutes.
- Take half of your soup mixture and puree it in the food processor until smooth, and add it back to the pot (if you have an immersion blender you could also use this. Just put it in the pot and puree, still leaving about half the lentils whole).
- Add the lemon juice and spices to the pot, stirring well.
- Turn the heat back on medium-low and allow the soup to simmer together another 15 minutes.
- It makes a thick, hearty soup! Serve topped with a dollop of plain yogurt and chopped mint, alongside flat-bread.
- This soup also freezes well.