Granola Bars are considered one of the best snacks when on the go. They are supposed to be healthy. But have you ever read the label on one of these that are available in the stores. They are full of all the worst food ingredients one can imagine. You don't want your kids to eat that!
Here is an easy DIY home made Healthy Granola Bar Recipe that any one can make in no time. Enjoy!
Healthy Granola Bar Recipe
- 20 dates (regular, not medjool), pitted
- 10 prunes, pitted
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup peanut butter
- 2 cups oats
- 3 Tbsp ground flaxseed
- ¼ cup crushed nuts, seeds, raisins, or dried cranberries or other dried fruit
- Optional: coconut, dark chocolate or carob chips
- In your food processor puree together the dates and prunes until you reach a really sticky, thick consistency.
- In a small saucepan melt together the honey and peanut butter, stirring until well combined and runny.
- In your mixing bowl combine the oats, flax-seed, and other ingredients of choice (nuts, seeds, dried fruit, coconut shreds, dark chocolate chips or carob chips).
- Pour your date/prune mixture and warm honey/peanut butter into the mixing bowl and mix well. It may even be easier to mix with your hands once you almost have it all incorporated.
- Press well into a buttered 8x8 pan.
- Sprinkle and press in shredded coconut to the top if you’d like.
- Allow to cool in the fridge or counter-top, then cut into bars and store in an air-tight container.